Monday, November 7, 2011

4 Truths From a 4 Year Old Part 2

4 Truths From a 4 Year Old 
Part 2
By Ace McKay

Looking more into the eyes of 4 year old is so cute and fun but also shapes the music we play on the air because:

 She’ll Only Listen TO “New Music” if it fits the type of Music She Already Likes
I’m always looking to educate my daughter on new songs and new artist. I know what she already likes, so I know what types of songs to bring into her mix that fall into that pattern of songs she already likes. Every time I’ve tried to introduce a song that I like, thinking I can force a style or artist on her, she rejects it. “No, Daddy, I don’t like this one.” Are you trying to force your listeners to hear music that don’t like? I’ve heard it before from stations saying, “But I’m playing the equivalent of the mainstream competition” or “we need these 4 new songs an hour so that we appeal to those who complain that we play the same songs all the time.” That’s like forcing someone to eat broccoli and because they ate it, they will like it. No, they will throw the plate on the floor and go buy a hamburger. When people turn off your station, too much new music or the wrong kind of songs could be the damage control you need address to bring the listeners back to the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment